Michelle Lederman would never say that she can teach you to be likable, even though she’s author of the book, “The 11 Laws of Likability.” But what she would tell you is that there are very specific things that contribute to our take away from your ability to be likable.
The more you understand these things – and more importantly, understand yourself for the sake of working on your likability – the more likely it is that you will become a person others feel they can know, LIKE, and trust.
I’m glad Michelle agreed to be on the show. She unpacked some of the vague terms we hear these days like authenticity, vulnerability, and more. You’ll enjoy this episode.
Your level of likability will dictate your success in business relationships.
You’ve probably heard the mantra floating around the business world these days – people need to know, like, and trust you in order to do business with you. My guest on this episode, Michelle Lederman believes that it’s truer than ever because the economy we’re living in is what she calls a “connection” economy. That means we’re making connections with people at a faster rate than ever before, which requires our first and ongoing impression on the people we’re connecting with all the more important. You can hear how Michelle coaches people to increase their likeability in authentic ways, on this episode of Real Relationships.
Research shows that happiness comes from relationships and connection.
Even in business, happiness comes from having meaningful and productive relationships. It’s a given that you have to establish trust with real people if you’re going to have any hope of success in your professional life. But my guest on this episode, Michelle Lederman told me that research has demonstrated that it’s more than success that is at stake – it’s also happiness. Find out how the relationships you have – even in the business environment – contribute to how happy you are as a person. It’s an amazing concept that shows that relationships are vital to our well-being.
An authenticity hack you can apply to your to-do list.
When it comes to your to-do list you likely don’t think about it in terms of relationships. But Michelle Lederman insists that if you don’t, you’ll miss one of the most powerful hacks you can do to increase your ability to be authentic. Find out how Michelle hacks her to-do list to make her dreaded meetings and appointments into things she actually enjoys and looks forward to. It’s one of the ways that authenticity can be made practical and beneficial for your work and home life.
If you don’t believe in yourself, nobody else will either. Confidence matters.
When it comes to being likable, Michelle Lederman says there are three “C”s that really matter. Clarity, confidence, and connection. Out of the three, she says that confidence is one of the most important simply because none of us like being around people who ooze insecurity. In the business world it’s even more important because nobody wants to do business with someone who is unsure of themselves or their company’s ability to come through on an agreement. You can hear how Michelle advises her clients to increase their personal confidence and thereby become a person who can be trusted, on this episode of Real Relationships.
Outline of this great episode
- [0:23] My introduction of today’s guest, Michelle Lederman
- [1:16] Why Michelle is so passionate about building great relationships.
- [2:35] The value of nurturing relationships beyond the opportunities they provide.
- [6:00] How Michelle learned to be likable herself.
- [8:12] The authenticity hack Michelle advises people to apply to their to-do list.
- [15:21] Finding the balance between vulnerability and capability.
- [20:01] How clarity, confidence, and connection contribute to likability.
- [24:29] The biggest and most important key to authentic relationships.
Resources & Links mentioned in this episode
- Websites: www.michelletillislederman.com/, www.executiveessentials.org/
- http://www.michelletillislederman.com/GiftPack – Michelles free downloads
- YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/MichelleLederman
- Social Media:twitter.com/mtlederman , facebook.com/MichelleTillisLederman
- LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/communicationexpertspeaker
- BOOK: The 11 Laws of Likability
- BOOK: Nail the Interview, Land the Job
Latest posts by Zvi Band (see all)
- Self Management Skills That Build Vital Relationships with Mike Muhney - August 10, 2017
- Make More Profit by Giving More, with Bob Burg - July 27, 2017
- The Power of Relationships for More Business and Referrals, with Nikki Beauchamp - July 13, 2017